Know who to talk to

Start with your supervisor, but you can also talk to a mentor, the owner, or a safety committee rep.

You have the right to be safe at work, so don’t be afraid to speak up about workplace safety.

  • What do I do if I have a health and safety concern?

    1. Talk to your supervisor or manager and explain why you’re feeling unsafe. In most cases this will resolve the problem. If you’re unsure about whether you should be concerned ask your co-workers. There is strength in numbers, so consider going as a group to talk to your supervisor.
    2. If you don’t get a satisfactory response from your supervisor or they are not available, go to their supervisor.
    3. If you’re still not satisfied, talk to your safety representative, a safety committee member, or a union steward.
    4. Most problems are solved at this stage. If they aren’t, you can contact WorkSafeBC anonymously and explain your safety concerns. A prevention officer will investigate and take steps to find a solution. Call 604.276.3100 in the Lower Mainland or toll-free 1.888.621.7233.